Sunday, September 5, 2010

This is the way I go to school

This is the way I go to school (though most of these were shot on my way home, as I usually am running late and so don't take so many back roads on my way up, but often do on my way back...so there).  On this Labor Day I am definitely celebrating the fact that I have a job...and a beautiful commute!

Okay, so I don't take the private drive to Whitehall Farm every day...
Whitehall

Sunflowers getting ready to strut their autumnal stuff!
You'll see more of them, I am sure...

Cows!  I drive past these and many other cows every day :-)

Detour!

"And I'm driving along past the old silo,
watching the combines moving up slow,
thinking of the places we used to go,
you were on my mind."
(variation on a theme)

"If those boards could talk...
What tales they'd tell...

Of Della and the dealer and the dog as well..."

Yes, that is a buffalo!  He has a goat (not pictured) to keep him company.
And no, that fence is NOT going to stop him if he wants out.

Part of our campus herd!

Our school mascot should be the squirrel,
because...wait for it...this place is nuts!

10 comments:

The Bug said...

Nuts is right LOL! I can't decide which of us has the best commute - I guess you win since I don't have any buffalo on mine.

altar ego said...

I think the mascot of my alma mater IS the squirrel! At least that's what is on the facebook profile picture. And yes, squirrels are in abundance on campus! Lovely views along your road to school. I especially like that first photo.

Sam Liu said...

What a beautiful and scenic route you take! Very lucky. My journey to school is very drab and urban unfortunately. I love the photographs; the flowers and wildlife are brilliant :)

Liz said...

LOL My high school mascot was the Killer Daisy, so just to be safe, keep an eye on those sunflowers. You never know.

Thanks for the lovely pictures.

Lydia said...

What beautiful scenes for a commute.
Was especially interested in seeing the buffalo because we have one solitary buffalo on our way into Salem (my husband's commute) who is obviously a beloved pet and very well cared for...but so alone. I think it's special that "your" buffalo is kept company by a goat, and vice versa.

Brian Miller said...

oh wow. you have the most amazing trip to and fro....all the life...esp the buffalo...and the old barns....very cool.

Jayne said...

LOL... maybe it's a psychological barrier for the buffalo? What a lovely drive you have on the way to work. :c)

sage said...

Nice commute! I saw your name in another blog and wonder how many folks even know about lintheads. Not too many of those around these days in the Carolinas. I'm from NC, but after a lot of wanderings up in NY and out west, I too find myself in the midwest (upper midwest, actually, Michigan).

Kat Mortensen said...

I envy you your drive past many cows. These are wonderful photos.

Argent said...

How enjoyable! Your quoting of Della amnd the Dealer has reminded me of that song - I used to love it. Hmmm, wonder if iTunes has it?. Lovely pics, too.