Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wrestling with God

This week, TFE has entrusted the Poetry Bus to my wife of almost 20 years.
What were ya thinkin', lad?
"I'm sure you have wanted to argue with God," The Bug says sweetly...

"Breath of Heaven"
Done knocked me
Into a cocked hat,
Laid me flat out,
Made me shout:
"God? Dayum!
What kinda plan
You got workin'
Here anyway?"
I think Someone's
Got some 'splainin'
To do!
 
Check out the other, most excellent Bus tickets proffered here!
"Loosely" inspired by "Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)" by Amy Grant.

Finally, here's an add-on that I want to share, from our Christmas poem in 1998:

Far off, distant, beyond:
Divine clockmaker, piecing
Together our universe, setting
All in motion, then hiding?

How strange to build
A clock so grand
And not attend the grains
Of sand as we pass through.

Yet it still rings, Creation’s song:
Listen!  Ere long you will hear it:
A song, carried by the wind.
Did it all begin with God singing?

And look, there, low
In the twilit sky, a strange new star
Signals us with its twinkling light;
We must not fight its call.

But where, how long?
The song does not say.
It only beckons:
Come, follow me and see.

And so we walk, alone, but lonely
No longer, for the song and the light
Grow stronger and brighter
With each passing day.

I think, this time,
We might find the long-awaited gift:
The Promised One whose love
Will lift our hearts and souls to God.

12 comments:

The Bug said...

LOL - I love it! Oh, yes, we've been wrestling with this for years.

And what do you mean questioning TFE appointing me as driver? I'm a GOOD driver. Heh.

Gerry Snape said...

Hmmm bug ...a lorra lorrra EXPLAINING AS THEY SAY AROUND THE LIVERPOOL AREA!

Carolina Linthead said...

Forgive me...I decided to add on our Christmas poem from 1998...I don't know why, just needed to.

altar ego said...

I love the way southerns say "Dayum!" This is fabulous!

NCmountainwoman said...

I loved them both. "What kinda plan You got workin' here anyway?" How often I think the same thing. Now I have words for it.

Helen said...

Somewhere inside me lurks a southern lass ... I really 'got' your poem! You may take a seat next to our driver!

Peter Goulding said...

Whoa! Never realised the two of ye were manacled together! but then I can be quite dim! Dayum!
That Christmas poem is something else

SouthLakesMom said...

A cosmic Lucy-Desi moment...a laugh out loud moment!

And the Christmas poem is beautiful...

Kat Mortensen said...

I love the colloquialism of "Breath of Heaven". I know Amy Grant's music (have a few cds, but I don't think I know this song. At least I can't think of the tune.)

I also really love the notion of God as the clockmaker. Really nice work, CL.

Kat

Totalfeckineejit said...

Love the God Rant!and the chriswtas pome!

MuseSwings said...

Breath of heaven put me - I'm sure all of us into a down pillow feeling of what would follow. You got some 'splainin to do too! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-potluck-nature-plants-creatures.html

Dear poet, welcome join Jingle Poetry Potluck…
First time participants can link in 1 – 3 old poems, or poems unrelated to our theme…
We value your contribution and cherish your talent!
Awards are to be assigned...
Hope to see you soon,
xxx