Thursday, June 23, 2011

In Memorium



My mother quietly passed away yesterday, June 22, at about 7:45pm.  She had been in a period of rapid decline since her liver started failing in late May.  We visited with her then and on the day we left to come back to Ohio, she did seem to know me, and she told us that she loved us.  There was a time, well over a year ago, when she seemed to be coming back to us somewhat, having fully recovered from her head injury, if not the effects of senile dementia, but another stroke ended that rally.  Still, she would recognize me, even if she would not remember that I had been to see her just the day before.  This visit had been different, as she was very sick.  We left NC very much not knowing if we would see her again in this world.  She responded briefly to medication, had a few good days, I am told, but not many.  The last two weeks have been very rough on my father as she became increasingly unresponsive, unable to eat, etc.  My brother has been taking care of things and keeping me informed.  I have had extensive teaching and administrative responsibilities over the last three weeks, not to mention being on call for potential jury duty (already once deferred, as they wanted me to serve during the last couple of weeks of spring semester!), so I could not easily break away.  I had made plans to go back to NC on Friday, knowing that she might not linger that long.  Now The Bug and I will be traveling together to visit with family and friends, mourn my mother, Frances, and celebrate her life and legacy.  I never actually said goodbye to my mother...I do not believe in goodbyes.  I always told her that I would see her later.  She was always a daddy's girl, and now she has gone to see her father.  In time, I will go to see her...I've always been a momma's boy...but not yet...not yet.

7 comments:

The Bug said...

Definitely not yet!

She was so proud of you.

We'll get through this together dear heart...

NCmountainwoman said...

These losses are so difficult even when we thought we were prepared for them. My thoughts will be with you and the family as you celebrate your mother's life. Godspeed, blogger buddy.

Rachel Fox said...

A tough time, I know. I found it tougher than I could ever have imagined.
Love to you both. x

Reya Mellicker said...

Michael this is a beautiful tribute and portrait of your mother. I am so sad you had to say goodbye. Sending you so much love right now, so much!

And to you, too, Dana.

ellen abbott said...

we know our parents will predecease us but it's still a shock when it happens. Even when you are prepared for it to happen. be consoled in the knowledge that if she could come back she wouldn't want to. not yet.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love this sweet photo of you and your mother. Peace and love to you and The Bug. Safe travels, dear friends. xo

Jayne said...

We all know these times will come, and yet, they somehow feel "too soon." Much love to you and the Bug as you make your way home to celebrate her life.