Sunday, November 9, 2014



Cold Warrior

The Moskva in winter...
Iron water painted by snow.
She and I, bundled, tangled,
Nursing our warming tryst...
Gushing...all that the Moskva
In winter is not...fluid...
Lusty nights, scant daylight
By which to come up for air.

No cares we had that season
Hidden in the teeming city...
Not pretty, but the trains
Always ran on time, afraid
To do otherwise...people died
For such oversight, did they not?
In our little kvartira, the sting
Of secret police was forgotten.

Come spring, she begged
To stroll in Novodevichy,
To gaze upon monuments
Mute, some new, many old,
All cold stone, stark reminders
Of the fate awaiting us:
Ruby cheeks fade to gray,
Hands, hearts, all wither.

Too soon the fateful day came
As I knew it must...duty called.
A coded note, blind dropped
A single line, a chilling phrase...
My glaciated heart crumbled.
Russians don't do happy endings,
She once told me...prophetic...
She barely felt the needle's prick.

A twist on Magpie Tales. For more takes on this prompt, click here!

8 comments:

Anita Sabat said...

Very touching.
Nicely conveyed.
The end is chilling...

elaine said...

A different take on the prompt. My glaciated heart crumbled - beautiful line.

21 Wits said...

You had me spellbound at their tryst, and bone chilled by end!

Carolina Linthead said...

Thank you, friends! I pulled this one out of the archives...it suited the prompt, or at least my mood :-)

NCmountainwoman said...

Shivers just reading this moving poem. I like it and its darkness.

Berowne said...

Adroit, knowledgeable and very well written.

Tess Kincaid said...

Delicious and bittersweet...always a treat to see you at Magpie, Dr. L...

NCmountainwoman said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And wishes for so many more.