Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pinch-hitting for LC: The Roads I've Taken (Poetry Bus)

















The Poetry Bus is being driven by Karen at Keeping Secrets. She has us thinking of Robert Frost and forks in the road, and so the challenge for passengers this week will be to write about one of the following:

(1) a time you had to choose between two clearly divergent paths; (2) a time you were called to walk a path you didn't choose for yourself; or (3) a time you refused to travel the path you were called to follow. If these won't work for you, write anything about a choice you made.

Here is my ticket:

The Wrong Way Home
By Dr. M









 




Why, given the choice,
Do I so often take a turn
I know will lead me down
A winding path that draws
Me far away from home
And you?















I need to rush right back!
But no, I turn and drive
Past the buffalo
And his goat companion,
Past the big red barn
And the silo covered with ivy,
Near where that old house
Once stood, neglected curtains
Flapping through the open windows,
Where life and hope and love
Once dwelt, but now
Only emptiness abides.














The house, the shell,
Its curtains are all gone now,
Only tumbled stones remain,
But the memory of what was
Still draws me down that road
As surely as thoughts of you
Draw me back, no matter
How far afield I’ve roamed,
No matter how many barns
And farms and cows and sheep
I’ve seen rest or play or graze
On any given rambling day.


















It is my way, it seems,
To take the wrong path home,
To dally, drift, explore,
Like a poem that meanders,
Yet remains ever faithful
To the one who inspires it.


9 comments:

The Bug said...

And I love it when you get home - but you're more fun because you took the journey.

Helen said...

I found myself entranced, meandering along right behind you ... I loved this!!!!

Peter Goulding said...

Yes, with you all the way on this one. It isn't simply a question of reaching your destination...

Karen said...

I love the whole misbegotten journey, but these lines especially draw me:

It is my way, it seems,
To take the wrong path home,
To dally, drift, explore,
Like a poem that meanders,
Yet remains ever faithful
To the one who inspires it.

I think there's a lot to be said for dallying. That may be my favorite new thought: dally.

Thanks for this.

Liz said...

It's all about the getting-there, isn't it? Liked this and how it had me follow on...cheers

Kat Mortensen said...

Lovely piece. I'm sure the one to which you're going home will treasure it.

Kat

Enchanted Oak said...

I would rather wander some days than take the fast route home. As a child I was stuck in back seats of cars for interminatble rides along country roads. Guess I got used to idle browsing. I enjoyed your ride.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love to take a meandering path. Nice Ohioan images. Wonderful pic of you and your Bug!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Romantic, a magical mystery tour, of love!