Thursday, June 9, 2011

High School On The Brain



Reunion

How can I show you who I am?
You remember first dates, first times…
Prom and promises and poignant goodbyes.
I remember jagged rocks,
Heat and pain and blood stains
Along the path through hell,
Hearing “ooh ooh that smell” on the radio
And knowing all too well
The scent of death that lingers
On the breath of ha-satan.
All I ever wanted was a chance,
One dance with you, one night,
A moment when all might be
Quiet within my raging world,
As you lay curled in my arms.




4 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

High school. I hated it. Jagged, raging hell. You describe mine well.

Reya Mellicker said...

Tess, me, too - but I love the poem. Many of my classmates are together even as I type this, in the suburbs outside of Kansas City, gathering for my 40th anniversary of hs graduation.

I am not there. 'Nuff said on that!!

Carolina Linthead said...

I feel your pain...

Karen said...

Very evocative. I feel sorry, though, for all of those "stars" who peaked in high school. Pity, huh?