Saturday, October 27, 2012

Having a Ball!

Hoist the Colours!

Yo ho ho!


It's a Special Kind of Night!

My dear friend Tess at Willow Manor is giving a Ball this Sunday, October 28! More details on this annual cyber-soiree may be found here. It is a masked affair this year, as intimated by this luscious painting she featured on her blog:

Masked Ball, 1945, by Rafal Olbinski

I went to last year's Willow Manor Ball in costume as a Civil War general, and that was fun, but this year I have decided to embrace the theme, so to speak, and go forth masked. Being a sometime pirate myself, I naturally gravitated toward that most infamous and dashing of pirates:

Guessed yet?
How about now?
Surely this will jog your memory!
Yes, indeedy! I am going to the Ball as The Dread Pirate Roberts! While I will not be there for your souls, I may try to steal a heart or two as I take my turns around the dance floor ;-)
Frankly, I think I'll make a fine Dread Pirate Roberts!
I think I have charm(s) enough
Now where did I put that mask...
Hey, look who showed up! The Bug! You can see why she gets the last dance...
I've arranged transportation
Refreshments
Mojito, anyone?
And entertainment!
See you at the Ball!
I have NO idea...ahem...

Spanish Ladies!
Shiver My Timbers!


Bonny Ship, The Diamond!


Ballad of Captain Kidd!

Maggie May!

For more on The Dread Pirate Roberts, I invite you to read the fabulous fantasy novel: The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure, The "Good Parts" Version, abridged by William Goldman
Or watch the movie (again and again)!

Thanks, as well, to the sketch artists whose work is presented above. The Dread Pirate Roberts is, indeed, alive and well on the World Wide Web!

And now I'll be Rolling Home!

25 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh my pirate, save a dance for me :)

Carolina Linthead said...

The last dance, dear Bug, always!

Catalyst said...

Not a bad pirate's love, either!

Tess Kincaid said...

You are a most fine and dashing Dread Pirate Roberts! Looking forward to my turn on the dance floor with you, dear friend...

Sandra Leigh said...

How wonderful that you share a love of the sea with the love of your life. I hope you'll regale us with some shanties of a piratical sort during the course of the party.

Anonymous said...

Pirates have their own brnad of allure...yes.

Unknown said...

I love it... so glamorous and romantic!

Kathryn said...

I love that novel! What an original idea to come as the Dread Pirate Roberts

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Ahoy mate!

You *do* know how I adore a pirate!

If Buttercup can spare you, I'd love a dance!

Have a ball!

Mimi

chiccoreal said...

Very original as yourself as a pirate...and a very handsome couple of pirates...or is it swashbucklers? :))) love it!

Scarlet said...

I like that pirate and movie ~

Dance away ~

Tess Kincaid said...

Wonderful music...yo ho...and so on...

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh how I loved the videos. There's a little pirate in all of us. And a lot in some. :)

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Oh, my... how I love a dashing pirate!

Marcheline said...

Anybody want a peanut?

The Blog of Bee said...

You put d lime in d coconut!

Love your build up to the Ball - such fun. Did you see Johnny Depp my friend Jacqui's date? I sent aged in oak rum to Willow Manor beforehand.

Great videos!

FireLight said...

Make sure we find one another for a dance and cuddle! You have done a swashbuckling job! Loved reading all this! Miss Marnie

Unknown said...

I am swashbuckled and these blue martinis are not helping. I am not sure how I came to be aboard this pirate ship. I think a small sail down the Scioto and I'll remember where I wanted to be. You run an incredibly fantastic ship, Captain. Yo-ho-ho!! =D

Carolina Linthead said...

Ha! Thank you for "dropping in" dear Linda! You are most welcome here anytime, and especially when you wear blue...

JBinford-Bell said...

Yes, Johnny Depp, came as my date and Capt. Jack Sparrow and brought a few of his pirate friends. Last seen they were in the basement tasting the rum that Bee brought. No doubt you met up there.

Pirates make fun dates. And it leaves me free to trip the light fantastic with whomever I wish.

Margaret said...

Oh, I love a good pirate and they aren't all named Johnny Depp. We named our cat Westley and my son can quote almost every line from the movie! A fun post and I can't wait to see that ship sailing down Tess's Scioto River!!

21 Wits said...

Yo ho- matey... I had no idea there was rum or pirates at the ball. How ever did I miss that! I know the dance floor was always a bit hard to sail my way through....so many people, so little time! Perhaps next year!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, pirates are known to be excellent dancers....and the phrase "as you wish" keeps drifting through my mind....maybe I should get back to my date!

Yoli said...

What a distinguished pirate! Nice to meet you and your lovely friend!

ninotaziz said...

I missed a dance with you - the queue for a dashing pirate was a mile long. Maybe next year?